WE Games Folding Magnetic Walnut Wood Chess Set - 10.5 inches
WE Games has been making the world’s best traditional games since 1977. Our games are crafted with high quality sustainable materials with attention to fine details. Because they are timeless and beautiful, they are often kept out on a coffee table for all to enjoy. We love bringing people together with our classic board games, and we know the joy of the game will be passed down to the next generation along with the board game itself. HISTORY OF CHESS Chess is one of the world’s most popular and beloved games with over 600 million players worldwide. The game is played in chess clubs, homes, and schools, online, via mail or email, and in tournaments. The theory and composition of chess reflects both art and science. Playing the game is known to increase brain power. Early forms of chess are thought to have originated in northern India or Afghanistan sometime prior to 600 A.D. The game first came to Europe via Italy and Spain from Persia through trade routes around 1000 A.D. Another theory suggests the game was brought to Europe by the Moors who invaded Spain in the 8th century. Vikings took the game further north to Scandinavia and Iceland. Chess as we know it today emerged in Southern Europe during the second half of the 15th century. Today’s chessmen were given their names by Europeans who probably were unable to pronounce the Persian names for the pieces. The six different chess pieces offer a snap shot of medieval life with its ceremonies, wars, and grandeur. The king, queen, bishop, rook, knight, and pawn represent the very way in which the ordinary men and noblemen lived their lives during medieval times. The next time you play chess, know that you belong to a beloved tradition extending through many generations and embracing many nations. EDUCATIONAL BENEFITS OF CHESS Numerous studies, over the past thirty years, have demonstrated a link between chess playing and improvements in educational performance. From visualization and strategic thinking to enhanced memory and concentration, the benefits of chess playing are infinite. It is not surprising that children who play chess are able to process complex cognitive tasks, with data indicating that young children utilize higher-order thinking skills, analyze actions and consequences, and visualize future possibilities. Therefore every time they play a game of chess, these skills are practiced and improved. Chess has been shown to increase: Logical reasoning Spatial awareness Numerical abilities Verbal aptitude Learning Skills Problem solving skills Reading levels Concentration and self-discipline Socialization skills BOARD GAMES ARE GOOD FOR YOU Did you know that playing board games can teach important social skills like verbal communication, being patient, sharing, taking turns and enjoying interactions with others? Games like Shut the Box foster the ability to focus and lengthens the player's attention span. Playing games is an easy and excellent way to spend unhurried, enjoyable time together. They are also rich in learning opportunities. One study reported in the American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias found that playing Bingo specifically provides Alzheimer patients with highly therapeutic mental stimulation. Patients who played the game did significantly better on measures of cognition, had increased alertness and awareness for hours after testing. Low tech board games like Shut the Box can be played alone or with friends or family and the benefits are significant.
- PORTABLE CHESS: Enjoy one of the world’s most cherished games on the go! This set contains a walnut and natural wood veneer chess board, lined in brown billard style felt and 32 chessmen in light and dark wood stains. The board measures 10.5 in. with 1.25 in. squares and the King is 2.625 in. tall.
- SMART DESIGN: The smart design makes it so the pieces can be stored in the compartment that forms once the board is folded. Equipped with a sturdy metal clasp, so pieces are secure during travel. Once folded, slide right into your backpack and get ready to play anywhere from your next tournament to the neighborhood park. Another great feature is the pieces have magnetic bottoms to secure them to the board while a game is in play.
- TEACHER’S PET: While this is a great game for families and friends of all ages, it is an excellent tool for teachers. Many different skills can be taught playing chess, such as critical thinking and strategy skills, to name a few. Teachers prefer this game because of the easy storage aspect and magnetic pieces.
- GOOD FOR YOU: The benefits of chess are enormous. Children who partake in chess boost their critical thinking, problem solving, spatial awareness, and socialization skills making it a great addition to any classroom or household.
- WE GAMES: Making the world’s best traditional games since 1977. Our games are crafted with high quality sustainable materials with attention to fine details. We love bringing people together with our classic board games, and we know the joy of the game will be passed down to the next generation. WE Games donates time and resources to the Toy Foundation to help children in need who are facing many of life’s most difficult challenges.